Starting a new management role can be daunting. To help new managers thrive, I spoke with Eric Girard, CEO of Girard Training Solutions, who shared his top tips for leadership success.
In this practical video, Eric reveals common new manager mistakes and how to avoid them. He explains the importance of setting clear goals, delegating effectively, and transitioning from individual work to leading a team.
Additional topics include:
- Cultivating empathy and emotional intelligence as a manager
- Creating an inclusive environment and seeking diverse perspectives
- Finding mentors and coaches to accelerate your growth
- Building trust through integrity, transparency, and fulfilling commitments
Eric also introduces his new book, “Lead Like a Pro: The Essential Guide for New Managers,” packed with actionable advice. Whether you’re starting your first management role or looking to level up your skills, this video provides indispensable guidance to help you master the essentials and become a successful, respected leader.
Key Points in the Video:
- (00:00) Introduction to the topic and guest, Eric Girard
- (01:00) The importance of helping new managers get started
- (02:40) Common mistakes new managers make and how to avoid them
- (00:04:00) Setting goals and using goal-setting methodologies
- (06:20) The art of delegation and its impact on team development
- (10:00) Transitioning from a technical focus to operating in the realm of people and relationships
- (13:00) The importance of empathy for new managers
- (18:00) Advice for underrepresented minorities and women in tech
- (20:10) The value of mentors and coaches for new managers
- (25:30) Strategies for finding mentors and coaches
- (28:00) Building and restoring trust as a manager
- (32:10) Introduction to Eric’s book, “Lead Like a Pro: The Essential Guide for New Managers.”
- (33:50) How to connect with Eric Girard for more insights and resources