In this video, Agata Grzybek, engineering manager at Netflix, shares some of her most important lessons about engineering management. This video is a must-watch if you’re thinking about becoming an engineering manager or are already in a leadership role. She covers many topics, including burnout, meditation, women in tech, coaching, productivity, non-violent communication (NVC), and more. She also shares her thoughts on engineering managers’ challenges and opportunities.
- 0:00 Introduction
- 0:22 Your background and how you got into leadership?
- 2:02 What are some of the biggest challenges you face as an engineering leader?
- 3:08 What do you do to prevent burnout?
- 4:50 A lesson you’ve learned along the way as an engineering leader.
- 6:14 What is your approach to hiring?
- 9:32 Do you have anything specific you might want to say regarding hiring women in tech?
- 11:13 What advice would you have for managers who are just starting out or new managers?
- 14:23 What’s your workday like, and how do you manage your time, emails, and calendar?
- 19:04 Is there a personal habit you feel has contributed to your success as an engineering leader?
- 22:10 If you could recommend some books to managers, what would they be and why?
- 26:12 How do you approach the career development of your direct reports or people in your org?
- 33:17 Where could people go if they wanted to connect with you later, maybe ask you questions, anything?
- The 15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership: A New Paradigm for Sustainable Success, https://amzn.to/3KMDXZM
- Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life: Life-Changing Tools for Healthy Relationships (Nonviolent Communication Guides) https://amzn.to/3KR1tER
#engineering #leadership #management #womenintech #nonviolentcommunication