Here are some interesting and forward thinking company handbooks and policies where you might find inspiration for your team or company.
Resources for Engineering Managers and Leaders
Mega list compiled from a variety of sources. Contribute here also: https://github.com/VGraupera/1on1-questions
- Are there any obstacles I can remove for you?
- As your manager, what would you like me to stop, start, or continue doing?
- At what point in the past week were you most frustrated with or discouraged by your work? What can I do to help you manage that?
- Do you feel you’re getting enough feedback?
- Silicon Valley Engineering Leadership Community. Primarily meets in the South Bay in Palo Alto.
- San Francisco Engineering Leadership Community (SFELC). This a large community with thousands of members. Holds large events in SF and also the South Bay.
- /r/AskManagement/ on Reddit
- Rand Leadership Slack Channel. This Slack group seems the most popular with EMs.
- Engineering Managers Slack group.
- The Effective Manager The how-to guide for exceptional management from the bottom up that serves as a hands-on practical guide to great management at every level.
- Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead Drawing on the latest research in behavioral economics and human psychology, provides teaching examples of how businesses achieve spectacular results by valuing and listening to their employees.
There are a lot of amazing articles out there. Here are some that caught my attention.
- This 90-Day Plan Turns Engineers into Remarkable Managers
- Google’s re:Work Manager Guide
- What Great Managers Do
- Average Manager vs. Great Manager Explained in 10 sketches
- Google’s Quest to Build a Better Boss
- A Manager’s FAQ
- Unintuitive Things I’ve Learned about Management (Part 1)
- You waste a lot of time at work Infographic
- Why Procrastinators Procrastinate
- Managing the Unmanageable: Resources
- Results Or People: Where Should A Leader Focus?
Selected books on influence and persuasion. Key tools in a managers arsenal.
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion The classic book on persuasion which explains the psychology of why people say “yes”—and how to apply these understandings.
- Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade Examines the art of effective persuasion to argue that its secret lies in a key moment before messages are delivered, sharing strategies for how to psychologically prepare one’s listeners to render them most receptive.