The following blogs are all from previous guests on managersclub.com. You may not know about all these blogs but they are based on the real-life experience of engineering managers. Many of these are on medium so you can easily follow them.
I’ve also added links to their engineering management interviews on managersclub.com.
- http://allenc.com/articles/. Articles on engineering leadership by Allen Cheung, Senior Director of Engineering at Affirm.
- https://www.tombartel.me/ – Thoughts on software engineering and engineering management by Tom Bartel
- https://matthewnewkirk.com/ “NotSoSoftware Because software development can be hard” blog by Matt Newkirk Engineering Manager at Etsy.
- https://medium.com/@Bar_Code/latest Articles by Brent Baisley VP of Engineering, Ticket Evolution. “Architect of systems, people, and teams. Leadership mentor. I connect the dots of code, systems, and people.”
- https://medium.com/@yagiz/latest Articles by Yagiz Erkan, VP of Technology at Motive Retail. “Technical leader in software development. Servant of Engineering, Product and IT teams. Avid reader. Passionate communicator of ideas and experiences.”
- https://medium.com/@kimber_lockhart Articles by Kimber Lockhart CTO @ One Medical
- https://ruiper.es/ Ramblings about code by Rui Peres, Engineering Manager at Babylon Health.
- https://www.intercom.com/blog/author/rich_archbold/ Inside Intercom: by Rich Archbold, Senior Director Of Engineering at Intercom.
- https://medium.com/@traviskimmel Articles by Travis Kimmel CEO of GitPrime.
- https://www.jrothman.com/blogs/ Blog by Johanna Rothman who helps managers and leaders do reasonable things that work. She is the author of 14 books and counting.
- https://ronlichty.com/ and http://managingtheunmanageable.net/. Articles by Ron Lichty Consultant, Interim VP Engineering and Author on Software Engineering Management. Ron is the co-author of Managing the Unmanageable: Rules, Tools, and Insights for Managing Software People and Teams.
- http://pragmati.st/ The “pragmatist” by Patrick Joyce, Director of Engineering at Stitch Fix.
- https://medium.com/@cgroom Articles by Chuck Groom, Director of Engineering at VTS. “I have 18+ years experience as an entrepreneur and software engineer.”
- http://eisabainyo.net/weblog/ “Technology Career. Leadership. Life. The Intersection – where technology career, leadership, and life intersect. “ blog by Ei Sabai (Isabel) Engineering Leader, Technologist, Author, and Speaker.
- http://blog.benjamin-encz.de/ [Thinking inside a large box]; by Benjamin Encz, Director of Engineering at PlanGrid
- https://medium.com/@kawomersley Articles by Katie Womersley Director of Engineering @Buffer.
What did I miss? Let me know in the comments below!
Photo by Emma Matthews on Unsplash
9 thoughts on “16 Blogs On Engineering Management And Leadership You May Not Know About”
Hey Vidal, Absolutely love some of these recommendations, we write quite a lot about aspects that matter to engineering managers and leaders, few resources for your review below.
Thank you for this collection of blogs, have checked 3 of them, seems very helpful.
Hi Vidal, Can you include also Waydev blog? as one of the #1 Git Analytics solution? Here it is https://waydev.co/blog
I’ve recently put my thoughts on eng management together here:
Would love any feedback.
very interesting , good job and thanks for sharing such a good blog.
your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it.
You’re doing a great job Man nice information for a new blogger…it is really helpful
I write a blog focused on software engineering management: https://softwaremanagerblog.com/ Hope you will like it.
Another engineering manager chiming in – my blog is at https://ochronus.online/ – with a variety of management and leadership topics including but not limited to interviewing, goal setting, performance reviews, communication skills and coaching.
Fantastic! Engineering management is becoming a hot topic in software development, especially in managing your developers’ wellbeing and happiness at a distance. One company I think is trying to really take this serious is hay. Please add their site too. Here it is: https://blog.howareyou.work/ & https://howareyou.work/
…and for anybody looking to join a Slack community on engineering leadership, here’s a personal invitations to hay’s>>>
In our community for engineers, engineering managers, and technical team leads, you can pick up cool tips & tricks about:
🍥Giving positive and negative feedback
🍥Mentoring your developers
🍥Building high-functioning dev teams
🍥Communicating effectively, and so much more!